Welcome to New Morgan Borough
Notice: The New Morgan Borough office is currently open to the public. Social Distancing guidelines continue according to Governor Wolf's plan for the Commonwealth. Mask are recommended but not required.
Thank you and please be safe.
Margie Bishop, Borough Manager
Located in southern Berks County, New Morgan Borough sits 15 miles south of the city of Reading and 50 miles northwest of Philadelphia.
New Morgan Borough was incorporated in 1988 from property that had been formerly owned by the Bethlehem Steel Company. The property was once operated as the Grace Mines, so named for Eugene G. Grace, Chairman and CEO of Bethlehem Steel who was a strong proponent of mineral exploration in southeastern Pennsylvania in the 1940s. Production began in 1958 and ended in 1977. At its peak, the Grace Mine employed 1,100 workers and produced 45 million tons of crude ore.
After the closure of the mines, the property was abandoned and the buildings were left unused until purchased by Morgantown Properties. Several of the former mine operations buildings were renovated for leasing and are currently occupied as part of the New Morgan Industrial Park.
In 1988, Morgantown Properties successfully petitioned the Berks County Court of Common Pleas to incorporate 3,761 acres of its property into a borough and began governing in January 1991.